[Dovecot] fs quota on xfs dir tree? is this implemented?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 6 20:59:35 EET 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 18:54 +0000, Pawel Eljasz wrote:
> basically, following wiki I set up a simple fs quotas
> when a tree reaches the limit, dovecot notices it, rejects with: Not
> enough disk space
> now question is, is it intentional what dovecot does - if yes how to
> implement fs-xfs quota warnings?
>
> or is it what dovecot was designed to do in case of such a eventuality
> like out of space thing?
> my guess, dovecot handles above situations anyway - scenario run: with
> no quota plugins

Yes, it does that even without quota plugin loaded, because the kernel
returns EDQUOT failures for syscalls. To get current quota usage and
quota warnings working, the quota-fs.c code would have to know about the
XFS directory quotas. You're welcome to write the code for it, but it's
a very low priority for me.

> this is nice feature of xfs, do not know if other fs do it, that is so!
> useful in scenario with vusers, or, would be :)

Usually people use virtual quotas (Maildir++, dict) for virtual users.