[Dovecot] Migration questions...

Jakob Hirsch jh at plonk.de
Fri May 15 15:19:14 EEST 2009

Seth Mattinen, 2009-05-15 09:39:

>> (right?) and so can dovecot, so should i use dovecot's "deliver"
>> mechanism, or exim's own internal mechanism?
> Only dovecot 'deliver' will update the index on delivery.

That's obvious. But dovecot (AFAIK) updates (not rebuilds) indexes when
it sees new messages, so it should not matter that much. At least with
maildir and not too much messages in poll intervalls, so usual "always
on" imap usage should be ok. It might be even better not to use
dovecot-lda for heavy-usage systems, because you save the fork/exec and
indexes are updated on demand (i.e. when the folder is polled), not for
every single message inserted.

With exim, I had also the problem that messages got bounced because the
lda crashed occasionally (was a svn version, so I don't complain) and
stupid exim treated this as a permanent error.