[Dovecot] Dovecot is emptying Maildir folders

Wed May 20 13:18:30 EEST 2009

On 5/19/2009 11:00 AM, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>> i have a annoying problem with dovecot after updating to 1.1.14.
>>
>> Dovecot seems to empty all cur/ and new/ Folders in the Maildir of a
>> particular user several times a day (3 times so far). It leaves only
>> unread messages in their place. All Index-Files are getting updated
>> and reflect the "empty"-State of the Mailbox.

I think dovecot is just doing what it is told by the client...

>> There is no Expire/Expunge-Plugin running.
>>
>> Fortunately i have a hourly backup-snapshot to restore the Mailboxes,
>> but this is obviously no solution.
>>
>> How can i debug this problem? Any advice is welcome.
>>
>> System: FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE, dovecot-1.1.14,
>> dovecot-managesieve-0.10.6, dovecot-sieve-1.1.6 (all installed via the
>> ports-tree), exim-4.69_3
>>
>> Clients: Thunderbird, Mail.app both IMAP only

> A wild shot is Thunderbird (if I remember correctly) has an remove read
> messages either after some many minutes or when closing it.  OOPS! There
> it is.  Account Settings -> Server Settings -> Clean up" (Expunge")
> Inbox on Exit

Thunderbird also has what is called a 'Retention Policy' that you can
set *on each folder* ('right-click-on-folder > Properties > Retention
Policy') that overrides the per account global setting ('Tools > Account
Settings > YourAccount > Offline and Disk Space > Disk Space'...

--

Best regards,

Charles