[Dovecot] Dovecot is emptying Maildir folders

Alexander Johannes newsletter at nirgal.de
Wed May 20 14:03:05 EEST 2009

Hello,

On Wed, 20 May 2009 06:18:30 -0400, Charles Marcus
<CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> wrote:
> On 5/19/2009 11:00 AM, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>>> i have a annoying problem with dovecot after updating to 1.1.14.
>>>
>>> Dovecot seems to empty all cur/ and new/ Folders in the Maildir of a
>>> particular user several times a day (3 times so far). It leaves only
>>> unread messages in their place. All Index-Files are getting updated
>>> and reflect the "empty"-State of the Mailbox.
>
> I think dovecot is just doing what it is told by the client...

This is the best explanation, because only one user out of 10 is affected.

Maybe it was a little bit premature to blame dovecot. But it happend the
first time directly after upgrading dovecot. So one tends to blame the
variable which has changed in the equation :).

>>> Clients: Thunderbird, Mail.app both IMAP only
>
>> A wild shot is Thunderbird (if I remember correctly) has an remove read
>> messages either after some many minutes or when closing it.  OOPS! There
>> it is.  Account Settings -> Server Settings -> Clean up" (Expunge")
>> Inbox on Exit
>
> Thunderbird also has what is called a 'Retention Policy' that you can
> set *on each folder* ('right-click-on-folder > Properties > Retention
> Policy') that overrides the per account global setting ('Tools > Account
> Settings > YourAccount > Offline and Disk Space > Disk Space'...

I will take a look into that.

Regards,

Alex