[Dovecot] Capability problems dovecot 2.0

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed May 27 05:44:15 EEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 11:20 +0000, ja nein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had some problems connecting TB 2.x with dovecot 2.0. TB2 complained about not being an IMAP4 server. TB 3 worked.
> It seems that dovecot 2.0 doesn't return capabilities when queried. Maybe some wrong config, thoug?

I think you can set imap_capability setting manually, but yeah, it's
broken currently. I'm not exactly sure how it should be implemented now.
Should doveconf do it? Should Dovecot master process do it? Should there
be a completely new binary for it? Hmm..

> TB3 seems to be fine without extra capability stuff.

Does it still ask for the CAPABILITY command? One solution could
actually be that Dovecot just stops giving the full CAPABILITY before
logging in. I did some tests for this recently, and it looked like as
long as the capability is forcibly pushed to the client after login,
most clients will use it. v1.2+ already does this when proxying to an
IMAP server with different capabilities than what were advertised for
the client previously. I haven't tried it with Outlook though, that
could be the one client that ignores it..