[Dovecot] Capability problems dovecot 2.0

reg9009 reg9009 at yahoo.de
Wed May 27 09:22:21 EEST 2009

Am 27.05.2009 04:44, schrieb Timo Sirainen:

>> TB3 seems to be fine without extra capability stuff.
>>

> Does it still ask for the CAPABILITY command? One solution could
> actually be that Dovecot just stops giving the full CAPABILITY before
> logging in. I did some tests for this recently, and it looked like as
> long as the capability is forcibly pushed to the client after login,
> most clients will use it. v1.2+ already does this when proxying to an
> IMAP server with different capabilities than what were advertised for
> the client previously. I haven't tried it with Outlook though, that
> could be the one client that ignores it..

Well,

as from the TB debug logs, both versions use the capability command
before the login sequence. I couldn't think of any reason why not to
give the capabilities when being asked for, but I don't know the RFC's
or whatever else is dealing with that kind of problem.

In my opinion, dovecot should give capabilities, regardless if before or
after login sequence. What would be the problem of it or why would it be
intented to be removed. It would actually just break with a rather
common client and change behaviour to all previous versions.

Regards,
Sebastian