[Dovecot] defunct in 1.24 on FreeBSD Alphaserver

Paweł Kaczor paczor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 00:43:48 EET 2009

Hello,

I've recently upgraded Dovecot from 1.1.16 to 1.2.4 on FreeSBD 6.3-
RELEASE running on old Alphaserver 1200.
Some time after this upgrade all user's MUAs showed error that user
password was not accepted. I've noticed many zombies of imap and pop3
processes on my server (all in defunct state). Looks like when
"login_max_processes_count" was reached, Dovecot canceled all new
connections.

I've setup completely new configuration based on http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation
  and no error was produced but every time I closed telnet the imap
process became defunct.

So, I tried to trace what was happening with ktrace:
ktrace -d -f log -p pid_of_imap_process

In attached file is a part of ktrace output at the moment when I close
telnet connection.
What is interesting (at last for me, but I'm lamer) is an error:
1576 imap     1256902587.568406 CALL  close(0xffffffffffffffff)
1576 imap     1256902587.568448 RET   close -1 errno 9 Bad file
descriptor

AFAIK, such error could be produced by inconsistent file system so I
double checked OS and I'm 100% sure it's OK.

At the very end of this history I had to switch back to 1.1.16 version
of Dovecot which works OK now.

I'll be very thankful if somebody could point me to explanation what
can cause such strange behavior.

Regards,
Pawel Kaczor