[Dovecot] defunct in 1.24 on FreeBSD Alphaserver

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Nov 5 19:56:18 EET 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 23:43 +0100, Paweł Kaczor wrote:
> I've setup completely new configuration based on http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation
>   and no error was produced but every time I closed telnet the imap
> process became defunct.
>
> So, I tried to trace what was happening with ktrace:
> ktrace -d -f log -p pid_of_imap_process

defunct processes happen because their parent process doesn't wait() for
them. So you should be looking at "dovecot" process and see if it's
calling wait() or equivalent.

> In attached file is a part of ktrace output at the moment when I close
> telnet connection.

It also indicates that you had rawlog enabled. I guess you also checked
that it happens even without rawlog?

> What is interesting (at last for me, but I'm lamer) is an error:
> 1576 imap     1256902587.568406 CALL  close(0xffffffffffffffff)
> 1576 imap     1256902587.568448 RET   close -1 errno 9 Bad file
> descriptor

That's a bug, but doesn't matter much. In any case it can't cause
defunct processes.