[Dovecot] Turning off "Fixed Duplicates" feature

Jordan Tardif jordan at hq.newdream.net
Fri Nov 13 02:04:24 EET 2009

> On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 15:42 -0800, Jordan Tardif wrote:
>> Is there a way to disable this feature? Seems to be causing more harm then
>> good right now. Without getting into too much details it is fixing the
>> duplcates but it does not remove the old file, and the new file it creates
>> is not marked as read like the old one was. I understand that this problem
>> can be created by multiple rsyncs and files changing in between, but is
>> there any way that I can just turn this feature off all together? I do not
>> see anything in the wiki regrading settings to disable.
>
> There's no way to disable it, because it shouldn't be happening in the
> first place. If your rsyncs are causing it, maybe you should be using
> e.g. maildirlock utility to make sure Dovecot's not changing the maildir
> while rsync is writing.
>
> Or you could of course always just comment out that code.

Heres a litle bit of background on what we are doing and maybe if you have
time you can let me know what you think the best way of doing this would
be. When we move users to dovecot servers, we first create a new user on
the destination machine, then do a rsync from the old user (that contains
all the courier* files) to the new one, and then run the migration script
found in the dovecot wiki to convert the courier* files to dovecot*. 6
Hours later we rsync from the old user to the new one again to make sure
that any emails that have been delived to the old user while dns updates
make it to the new users account. Then we run the migration script again
with --overwrite so it creates the new courier* files. Would you also
reccomend removing any dovecot.index.cache files at this time as well? Can
you think of another way to do this move so that dovecot would not have
this problem with duplicates?

--
Jordan Tardif
DreamHost