[Dovecot] Turning off "Fixed Duplicates" feature

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Nov 13 02:10:25 EET 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 16:04 -0800, Jordan Tardif wrote:
> Heres a litle bit of background on what we are doing and maybe if you have
> time you can let me know what you think the best way of doing this would
> be. When we move users to dovecot servers, we first create a new user on
> the destination machine, then do a rsync from the old user (that contains
> all the courier* files) to the new one, and then run the migration script
> found in the dovecot wiki to convert the courier* files to dovecot*. 6
> Hours later we rsync from the old user to the new one again to make sure
> that any emails that have been delived to the old user while dns updates
> make it to the new users account. Then we run the migration script again
> with --overwrite so it creates the new courier* files. Would you also
> reccomend removing any dovecot.index.cache files at this time as well? Can
> you think of another way to do this move so that dovecot would not have
> this problem with duplicates?

When do the imap/pop3 sessions actually start using the new machine?
Does that depend on DNS also? Running migration script multiple times
isn't a good idea. It can change IMAP UIDs and cause trouble with
clients that use a local cache. It could even lose messages since client
doesn't realize that there's a new message with an existing one's UID..