[Dovecot] [OT] preferred clients

Thomas Berezansky tsbere at mvlc.org
Sun Nov 22 09:50:10 EET 2009

Didn't notice that my reply to this didn't include the list (the
default reply option due to having my address directly was "to
sender", not "to list" due to a local setting). Only noticed after the
fact.

My response:

One of my IMAP folders has over 13000 messages and is handled fine,
but I am not currently sure how much actual space that is taking up
right now. I suspect it isn't even half a GB. However, Microsoft
states (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830336) that Outlook 2007
doesn't use the 2GB limited format for anything by default, and that
the default limit is 20GB as a result, likely with registry options to
allow it to grow larger.

The only issue I see with "deleting messages doesn't make them go
away" is that "delete" on an IMAP account is "flag as deleted" by
default, which means you need to issue an IMAP purge command. As I
don't use "trash" folders I prefer this behavior, even in Thunderbird
and Horde. I just add the purge commands to my toolbar. I think the
flagged as deleted thing is what you are thinking about with the "some
sort of compact operation", and is technically how IMAP is supposed to
handle deletes.

For that issue, there is a "Purge items when switching folders while
online" option, per account, that can be enabled. Also, the showing of
deleted items is optional (when shown they, in all clients I have
used, have a strike-through applied to them).

Thomas Berezansky
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium