[Dovecot] [OT] preferred clients

Maarten Bezemer mcbdovecot at robuust.nl
Sun Nov 22 18:19:18 EET 2009

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, Jerry wrote:

>>> Of course this only applies to Microsoft Office 2010, a BETA of
>>> which is available at:
>>
>> I am very happy to know that Microsft acknowledged at dawn of 2010
>> that the limitation of personal storage is pointless.
>
> The original PST specifications were developed when nobody had ever
> heard of a 'gig' of storage. It probably made sense then. In today's
> environment, it is indeed obsolete. From what I have read, Microsoft
> has totally revamped the PST format. In fact, they are suppose to be
> releasing the specs for it when Office 2010 is officially released.

It might be just me, but I can't read the 'revamp' thing in the article
you link to. It just talks about how wonderful it is that they are going
to put the format under their (IMNSHO pretty bad) Open Specification
promise. The reason for doing that is clearly selfish: by allowing others
to do something with the currently proprietary PST files, they wouldn't
have to fear loosing the market to competitor's desktop products.
What they SHOULD have done, was open up their MAPI protocol, to allow
other back-end programs to talk to Outlook in a way that Outlook
understands. Now THAT would be helping interoperability.

[Of course, one could argue that they should make Outlook conform to
standards instead, but since they never showed any interest in conforming
to standards with any product, that would be naive. Even with Vista's
Windows Mail they adopted something "almost but not quite entirely
unlike" Maildir format. Still better than PST, true..]

Having said that.. IMAP support in Outlook sure has improved from 2003 to
2007. It just has a looooong way to go. Using Outlook 2007 in a network
environment with IMAP breaks every time a user logs in to another
workstation. It took me a while to find a workaround, and it's still not
entirely stable. But at least now that I moved the Outlook.pst and
Outlookuser at servername-000002.pst to a samba share, it is useable. Still
puzzled as to why they decided to store those in de LocalSettings instead
of in the normal user profile or a standard network share...

--
Maarten