[Dovecot] FW: Panic: Message unexpectedly expunged from index

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Nov 23 22:21:26 EET 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 08:58 -0600, Cliff Hayes wrote:
> I think that mbox puts all mail in one file and maildir puts each
> individual mail in its own file in a separate directory for each user.
> But the mail_location parameter is confusing to me.  Like when it was
> suggested that I add "mbox:/var/empty:" ... to me that's like saying
> "we don't use mbox ... so the mbox is the bit bucket" ... which is
> obviously not how it works.  To me "mbox:/var/spool/mail/u%" made more
> sense but was not recommended.  That's just one example.

Well, the way mail_location works is:

So you begin with "mbox:", and the next one must be a directory
containing all non-INBOX mailboxes. But you were using POP3 so you
didn't have anything except INBOX. But you still needed a directory,
so /var/empty was one possibility. Perhaps /dev/null would have worked
too. /var/spool/mail/%u anyway was mbox file, not a directory, and that
would have just failed.

I think this is confusing only if you're thinking POP3-only access..