[Dovecot] How unimportant would be mailstore-tidy utility? :-)

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at onet.eu
Mon Nov 23 23:14:09 EET 2009

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 19:19 +0100, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
>> > I doubt you need to worry about the indexes. The messages' flag state
>> > should be stored in the maildir filenames, and I'd hope that kmail does
>> > that too.
>>
>> How low on your list of priorities would land idea of utility
>> "make-mailstore-tidy"? :-)
>>
>> P.S.
>> I have "personal mail store" migrated from cyrus (by my own *ugly*
>> migration script) via maildir to dbox. I would like to convert all file
>> names to more "uniform" format before next migration I sure I will see
>> in a few years perspective :-)
>
> What exactly do you think such utility should do?
> What filenames?

Let me explain it "by example":

I use dbox mailbox. In dbox-Mails folder I have message files named:
1) u.99  [dbox created file name]
2) 1231249011.P20963Q0M722109.shevek:2,Sa [dovecot maildir created&modified name]
3) 1.:2,Sa [cyrus name, modified by dovecot maildir]
   [ I have used my own cyrus to maildir conversion scripts]

"Inconsistent" conventions for names of "email message file" is not a
very big deal after one conversion but it may lead (IMHO) to very ugly
chaos after a few conversions (after a 5-10 years of persistent use).

[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at onet.eu
"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."
  -- Vince Lombardi, football coach