[Dovecot] commercial help

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Nov 30 20:54:24 EET 2009

On Nov 27, 2009, at 1:18 AM, Jim Pazarena wrote:

> I am on FreeBSD with Dovecot  1.2.4
> I need to have both POP3 & IMAP working to replace vm-pop3d (which was POP3 only).
> Local users are:  mbox:/home/%u/mail/:INBOX=/mail/%u  with password in /etc/passwd
..
> Virtual users (which vm-pop3d handled readily)
> are mbox:/home/VIRTUAL/%d/%u:INBOX/mail/VIRTUAL/%d/%u                                                  with password in /exim/etc/VIRTUAL/%d/passwd

Probably would be easiest if you just got rid of system users and had everyone use virtual users to access their mails.. But if you want to do it like this, you probably need to do something like:

mail_location = mbox:/home/%u/mail:INBOX=/mail/%u

passdb pam {
}
userdb passwd {
}
passdb passwd-file {
  args = /exim/etc/VIRTUAL/%d/passwd
}
userdb passwd-file {
  args = /exim/etc/VIRTUAL/%d/passwd
}

Now the problem is how to set up virtual users' mail_location. There are basically two ways:

1) Add mail=/home/VIRTUAL/domain/user:..etc.. to the passwd files to each user's entry, like http://wiki.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/PasswdFile explains

2) Create a post-login script that figures out if user is virtual or static, and overrides the MAIL environment. http://wiki.dovecot.org/PostLoginScripting http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation