[Dovecot] meaning of parameter imap_idle_notify_interval??

Ingo Thierack i.thierack at iwt-promotion.com
Wed Oct 28 00:42:04 EET 2009

tried the telnet approach.
patched in the logline.

[ingo at mail ~]$ telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=DIGEST-MD5] ready.
a login xxxx xxxx
a OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH
ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH] Logged in
b select inbox
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk
\*)] Flags permitted.
* 13 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1252958392] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 37] Predicted next UID
* OK [HIGHESTMODSEQ 81] Highest
b OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.
c idle
+ idling

after idling displayed, i sent a message to the account.

see the message delivered to the inbox in my syslog

 2009-10-27 23:35:20 | dovecot:               |
deliver(ingo at ghostdive.org): sieve:
msgid=<ac2e3a8f0910271535q4c5096a8w56d31e117cb7bf76 at mail.gmail.com>:
stored mail into mailbox 'INBOX'

in logfile:
<<<b select
inbox

<<<c
idle

out logfile:

* OK [RAWLOG TIMESTAMP] 2009-10-27
23:34:55

<<<a OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-E
XTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN
CONTEXT=SEARCH] Logged
in

* OK [RAWLOG TIMESTAMP] 2009-10-27
23:35:00

<<<* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft
NonJunk)

* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk
\*)] Flags
permitted.

* 13
EXISTS