[Dovecot] Global ACL configuration problems: mailboxes not visible , set ACLs not honoured

Andreas Ntaflos daff at pseudoterminal.org
Tue Sep 1 14:48:38 EEST 2009

On Tuesday 01 September 2009 12:11:39 Thomas Leuxner wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 11:34:16AM +0200, Andreas Ntaflos wrote:
> > Is there anything more to it? I ask, because I can't seem to get it
> > to work correctly using this approach with global ACLs. Problems
> > include:
> >
> >  - Can't get the mailboxes "Spam" and "Ham" under the "Public"
> > namespace to show up in the mail client (Thunderbird, KMail,
> > Horde/IMP) at all. These have the ACL "authenticated lrwstipk" set
> > so the should be visible to authenticated clients, shouldn't they?
> > All I see is the namespace with no mailboxes beneath it.
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> did you try with enabling the logging option 'mail_debug = yes'? It
> should then verbosely log ACLs read while accessing the folders. How
> about the files 'dovecot-acl' and 'dovecot-acl-list'? Are they
> present in your public root? The latter should have been
> automatically created once the subdirs have working ACLs.

Hi Thomas,

thanks for your helpful reply. I hadn't thought of setting mail_debug,
don't know why :) Now I can see more clearly.

It seems that ACL files such as "/etc/dovecot/acls/Backup.received"
or "/etc/dovecot/acls/Backup.sent" are read, but when accessing the
actual mailbox Dovecot looks for a file "/etc/dovecot/acls/received" or
"/etc/dovecot/acls/sent". I.e. the mailbox names *without* the namespace
prefix. This can't be the desired behaviour, can it?

When I create such an ACL file (""/etc/dovecot/acls/sent") the defined
restrictions seem to be applied. At least KMail doesn't even offer
to "Delete message" anymore. Thunderbird does and messages can
apparently be deleted, but they show up again upon reloading the
folder. This is probably a Thunderbird issue. Horde/IMP is similar in
this regard.

The Public namespace however doesn't seem to be given any consideration
at all by Dovecot. I can see the namespace root ("Public") in the
folder subscription list, but nothing beneath it. Even when I apply
the "fix" described in the previous paragraphs I still can't see any of
the public folders. The log file doesn't show anything about this
either.

There are no "dovecot-acl" files at all, anywhere. I want to avoid
having to use them, which is why I am trying to get global ACLs to
work. The "dovecot-acl-list" files are created in every root directory,
i.e. /var/mail/public/dovecot-acl-list, /var/vmail/example.org/username/Maildir/dovecot-acl-list
and /var/vmail/example.org/username/Maildir-backup/dovecot-acl-list.

All three are empty.

So, the second issue (private namespace ACLs) could be a bug in Dovecot,
unless I misunderstood how to name ACL files for mailboxes in other
private namespaces. The first issue (invisibility of public folders) is
still a mystery to me.

Ideas?

Thanks again for your reply!

Andreas
--
Andreas Ntaflos
Vienna, Austria

GPG Fingerprint: 6234 2E8E 5C81 C6CB E5EC  7E65 397C E2A8 090C A9B4