[Dovecot] Odd/Incorrect Quota Reporting on Dovecot 1.2.4 & FreeBSD4

Siraj 'Sid' Rakhada virtualsid at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 17:07:15 EEST 2009

Hi,

Am seeing an odd problem on an old FreeBSD 4.11 box that I'm trying to
get courier off, and dovecot on. At the same time, I'm trying to put
some fairly simple quota support on, but getting very odd results.

I think it might be better described with the log below, but, the gist
of it is this:

I have set a 1GB quota, and I was getting intermittent reports on the
quota usage - sometimes at the correct usage (300MB or so), and then
at some crazy amount over the quota usage. I can get it to be
consistently incorrect though, as displayed with the below log.

The maildirsize is correct, and matches closely to 'du' output, it's
simply coming through incorrect on IMAP. It also only seems to happen
if the maildirsize is not created before the first 'getquota[root]'
command occurs.

I think it's something to do with dovecot + FreeBSD (at least, this
version)! I've done a quick test on a Debian box, and I don't have the
same problem.

Anyone else have any ideas what could be going wrong on this FreeBSD
box? Is it worth me giving the dovecot -n output at this stage?
It happens on different mailboxes too, this is just a sample.

Thanks!

----- information & log follow

# /usr/local/dovecot/sbin/dovecot --version
1.2.4

# uname -a
FreeBSD server1.domain 4.11-RELEASE-p13 FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE-p13 #5:
Wed Oct 12 18:02:46 BST 2005
root at server1.domain:/usr/obj/build/src/sys/FBSD410RELENG  i386

# cat maildirsize
1073741824S
304806180 16002

Attempt 1:
. OK Capability completed.
a login sid at domain test
a OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH
ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH QUOTA] Logged in
a getquotaroot inbox
* QUOTAROOT "inbox" "User Quota"
* QUOTA "User Quota" (STORAGE 117738174 1048576)
a OK Getquotaroot completed.
a logout
* BYE Logging out
a OK Logout completed.
closed

Attempt 2:
(on server do 'rm maildirsize')

. OK Capability completed.
a login sid at domain test
a OK [snip] Logged in
a getquotaroot inbox
* QUOTAROOT "inbox" "User Quota"
* QUOTA "User Quota" (STORAGE 117738174 1048576)
a OK Getquotaroot completed.

(on server, do 'rm maildirsize' again, while still connected, the
first 'getquotaroot' is incorrect, as it seems dovecot regenerates the
maildirsize file on login, hence the 'rm')

a getquotaroot inbox
* QUOTAROOT "inbox" "User Quota"
* QUOTA "User Quota" (STORAGE 297662 1048576)