[Dovecot] Question about the pop3 feature "leave messages on server for a certain period of time"

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Sep 12 00:07:43 EEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-11 at 11:57 +0300, Δημήτριος Καραπιπέρης wrote:
> I am missing something on the the pop3 "leave messages" rationale.
>
> Although the UIDL feature solves for the MUA the problem  "whch mails
> should be downloaded",
> how the duration that these mails should be kept on server, say 10 days
> for one MUA and 20 days for another MUA for the same account,
> is resolved on the server?

I guess you could configure Dovecot to delete mails older than n days
with expire plugin: http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Expire

But I've no idea if it's really a good idea to do that. Some clients
might freak out. Oh and expire plugin would delete messages regardless
of whether client has ever even downloaded them.