[Dovecot] Question about the pop3 feature "leave messages on server for a certain period of time"

Δημήτριος Καραπιπέρης dimkar at thessaloniki.gr
Sat Sep 12 08:45:03 EEST 2009

O/H Timo Sirainen έγραψε:
> On Fri, 2009-09-11 at 11:57 +0300, Δημήτριος Καραπιπέρης wrote:
>
>> I am missing something on the the pop3 "leave messages" rationale.
>>
>> Although the UIDL feature solves for the MUA the problem  "whch mails
>> should be downloaded",
>> how the duration that these mails should be kept on server, say 10 days
>> for one MUA and 20 days for another MUA for the same account,
>> is resolved on the server?
>>

> I guess you could configure Dovecot to delete mails older than n days
> with expire plugin: http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Expire
>
> But I've no idea if it's really a good idea to do that. Some clients
> might freak out. Oh and expire plugin would delete messages regardless
> of whether client has ever even downloaded them.

Hi there

Definitely imap4 is more sophisticated protocol offering many useful
features. By no means did I try to compare pop3 versus imap.
I am using imap , I have imap servers configured and I suggest to
everyone to use imap.
I just had this question regarding multiple MUA's configuration on the
option "leave messages on server" on the same account, and if there
was an option to cease the mess that different time period setting (on
DELE command) can cause..

thanks for your replies
Dimitrios