[Dovecot] fixing deleted-to-trash-plugin

Lex Brugman lex.brugman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 00:32:01 EEST 2009

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 20:54:22 -0400, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-09-13 at 20:49 -0400, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 20:42 +0200, Lex Brugman wrote:
>> > I'm currently trying to make the deleted-to-trash-plugin work with
>> > dovecot
>> > v1.2.4, without this plugin the trash mailbox is pretty useless with
>> > mail
>> > clients like Evolution and Outlook, I still can't believe this
>> > functionality isn't intergrated into dovecot
>>
>> That's because it breaks the normal IMAP way of doing things and I'd
>> hate to use a server with that feature enabled. So sorry, I'm not going
>> to spend any time at all on this feature.
>
> As an alternative you could try if virtual mailboxes would handle this
> better. The basic idea would be to create a virtual Trash that contains
> all messages with \Deleted flag set. Something like:
>
> ~/Maildir/virtual/Trash/dovecot-virtual:
> *
>  deleted
>
> To use actual "Trash" mailbox name, you'd need to create:
>
> namespace private {
>   prefix = Trash.
>   location = virtual:~/Maildir/virtual/Trash
>   hidden = yes
>   subscriptions = no
> }
>
> You'll need a recent v1.2 to get this working.

Thank you for your answer, unfortunately using a virtual folder as Trash
will cause the folder to be empty again after an expunge.
... But I managed to fix the bug myself :-) : the deleted flag wasn't
removed after copying the message which caused it to be deleted right after
having been copied! (stupid me :P)

I have updated the wiki page:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/deleted-to-trash and attached the source to
it, I hope this will help some other desperate people wanting to use
Dovecot but missing this feature.
Any feedback is welcome.