[Dovecot] Disconnected: Too many invalid IMAP commands

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Sep 18 16:56:48 EEST 2009

Noel Butler schrieb:
> On Fri, 2009-09-18 at 06:12 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
>
>> On 9/18/2009, Gabriele (listarolo_dovecot at musimac.it) wrote:
>>> dovecot 1.0.10
>> This is really old... it is very likely that upgrading dovecot to a more
>> current build - either 1.1.19, or better, 1.2.5 - will solve your
>> problem, but would be recommended anyway...
>

> I think it should be plastered all over the list welcome message and
> homepage, as many projects do and insist upon, " make sure you are
> running the latest current stable version of the software before asking
> for help"...
>
> The problem however is many people very dangerously and wrongly consider
> that their beloved favourite distro package, is in fact the current
> stable and the only one that exists. I'm horrified by the number of
> people responsible for servers that wont use anything but an rpm or a
> deb, they simply refuse to use the source, even though its current and
> stable, far more so than that rpm/deb file at like 3 years out of date,
> and they have the nerve to get narky at you for not helping them *sigh*

Gabriele,

to the original problem, I'd suggest to capture a trace of IMAP commands, either
on the server, or by setting proper Thunderbird options, as described on
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Thunderbird
and post the last few lines before the problem mail.

No\"{e}l, I don't think such findings belong here.

Ubuntu 8.04 is a long-term support release (desktop three years, server five
years), and it's natural that users will use that.

Perhaps it should be made sure that distributors actually request that support
inquiries be directed at themselves, rather than the upstreams. Ubuntu in
particular however are severely undermanned and will hardly be able to go beyond
security and perhaps the occasional critical erratum, and they often cannot even
be bothered to look at reports and forward them upstream (be that Debian or the
OSS project) -- I've been through that with bogofilter and fetchmail before
(where I'm a/the upstream maintainer, respectively).

I also think that telling users "backport fix abc239def" might help (if
available) because that stands a slight chance of being integrated in the distro
package.

HTH