[Dovecot] The file doesn't contain a certificate.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Wed Sep 23 23:20:06 EEST 2009

On Qua, 23 Set 2009, A M wrote:
> Yesterday I upgraded dovecot from 1.1.16 to 1.2.4 using portupgrade
>
> I am now getting the following messages in the log file:
> Sep 23 12:00:41 imap-login: Fatal: Can't load certificate  file
> /etc/ssl/imaps.example.org.csr: The file doesn't contain a
> certificate.
>
> The certificate file contains exactly what it did before:
> -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----
> MIIBhTCB7wIBADBGMQswCQYDVQQGEwJVUzELMAkGA1UECBMCQ0ExFDASBgNVBAcT
> C0xvcyBBbmdlbGVzMRQwEgYDVQQKEwtCb3hJU1AsIExMQzCBnzANBgkqhkiG9w0B
> AQEFAAOBjQAwgYkCgYEAue0xYWcYcLHQoI/nQj2tG3AV0Mepx1pvHbCSqmKxelyo
> z5cToH9kFIPzxDJvL8ChQ21ftM7m79ChfiXgWsUhHuaoeNdwr12FQ+nbbZoaELGZ
> 3keZv93rYkGstkL8zxTIquDq1dKSp+3e1T7M0ktphlYWuNEv8vHa4zM3n5izdmcC
> AwEAAaAAMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBBQUAA4GBAA1JnGM4A5HvRy+TFjMrUHoJr79DaMpj
> qmKT2R5uW0iQnRGjrSfMCaZgyEQqKU5eCAVx5xTih7iO7VKLP5zKRVMSAJ5kQW1o
> 7bM/NvbnI+Jdz749VkZtUXWWVNlIB0uVXp++moWN5+y94kj3f1VhHQke+pS8NWGG
> YxhXEZtBBUdO
> -----END CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----

That's not a certificate, that's a certificate request. You send it to
a company that sells certificates (along with your credit card number
:-) ) and receive the certificate.

Or you can generate a self-signed certificate by following the steps
in http://openssl.linux-mirror.org/docs/HOWTO/certificates.txt .

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo at kalinowski.com.br