[Dovecot] OT: IMAP folder aliases

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Sat Sep 26 10:24:27 EEST 2009

Patrick Ben Koetter schrieb:
> * Robert Schetterer <robert at schetterer.org>:
>> Patrick Ben Koetter schrieb:
>>> It seems that there is no standard for folder names that deal with typical
>>> message classes such as drafts, outbox, sent, spam etc. At least there's no
>>> common sense on a naming convention that tells how client should handle this.
>>>
>>> Worse than this, most IMAP clients auto-create folders according to their own
>>> naming convention if they don't exist. Every client introduces its own view.
>>>
>>> Users OTOH expect a single view that makes it easy for them to find their
>>> messages. They are unwilling to search in "sent", "sent-mail" or "Sent items"
>>> for "messages that have been sent".
>>>
>>> I doubt that software producers will adopt a standard naming convention if it
>>> was introduced within a useful time span.
>>>
>>> Has anyone seen an approach or a solution that solves the problem from a users
>>> point of view? A server side alias list that maps to a server standard?
>>>
>>> p at rick
>>>
>> Hi Patrick, i see no way to push coders to standart folders use
>
> I do. I just takes a lot of time. Well, at least most of them would follow... ;)
>
>> but with autocreate and global sieve rules you can implement a pseudo
>> standart
>> i use tbs one and configure horde/imp like tb does it, in my meaning
>> big players have no intension bring up even a pseudo standart
>> cause they want users to use their own mail services and server
>> implementations ( google, apple, m$, etc ) and earn money with it
>
> Yes, they want to. But they also want to create a great user experience for
> those that do not use web applications.
>

>> but as reality shows, if there is a good faq side for your server setup
>> most imap users are smart enough to configure their clients
>
> I know you and I don't mind to search the internet, read docs and try this or
> that until we find something that satisfies our needs. But the goal I am
> aiming for here is "out of the box". And that means "a good faq site" is not
> acceptable (until I have to face reality...).
>
> p at rick

Hi Patrick, i allready tried it, i see no way to goal it yet,
but its common i.e companies that there is only one mail client is
supported, so if your server is only for them , there should be no
Problem, in internet servers the only client which i support is
thunderbird until its widly spreaded , free and for all os
this is accepted since yours by the users, but your right having a
standart would be very nice, but i dont think it will come ever

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria