[Dovecot] OT: IMAP folder aliases

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Sat Sep 26 14:09:07 EEST 2009

* Robert Schetterer <robert at schetterer.org>:
> >> but with autocreate and global sieve rules you can implement a pseudo
> >> standart
> >> i use tbs one and configure horde/imp like tb does it, in my meaning
> >> big players have no intension bring up even a pseudo standart
> >> cause they want users to use their own mail services and server
> >> implementations ( google, apple, m$, etc ) and earn money with it
> >
> > Yes, they want to. But they also want to create a great user experience for
> > those that do not use web applications.
> >

> >> but as reality shows, if there is a good faq side for your server setup
> >> most imap users are smart enough to configure their clients
> >
> > I know you and I don't mind to search the internet, read docs and try this or
> > that until we find something that satisfies our needs. But the goal I am
> > aiming for here is "out of the box". And that means "a good faq site" is not
> > acceptable (until I have to face reality...).
> >
> > p at rick
> >
> Hi Patrick, i allready tried it, i see no way to goal it yet,
> but its common i.e companies that there is only one mail client is
> supported, so if your server is only for them , there should be no
> Problem, in internet servers the only client which i support is
> thunderbird until its widly spreaded , free and for all os
> this is accepted since yours by the users, but your right having a
> standart would be very nice, but i dont think it will come ever

Robert, you are missing the point. The scenario I am talking about is a
typical, comsumer oriented ISP scenario. In this scenario I am not in a
position to tell my users "go read a Howto" and neither am I able to control
their client settings.

In the scenario I am discussing right now, I try to find a way to adopt to
what they have. Regardless of the client they use I always want to give them
a consistent view on their data.

p at rick