[Dovecot] Enabling security on POP3 and IMAP

Mon Sep 28 13:59:46 EEST 2009

On 9/28/2009, Richard Hobbs (richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk) wrote:
> One question though... before I accept the certificate, i get warnings.
> One says the cert is not trusted (which is fine - it's self-signed). The
> other warning, however, mentions a hostname mismatch. Is there any way
> to put all of the hostnames we'll ever use into that certificate, so
> regardless of whether people are access "mail.domain", "pop3.domain" or
> "imap.domain", the hostname mismatch does not occur?

There is a way to add 'alternate names', but I don't think TBird (or
most other Clients) will recognize them. You could also create a
wildcard self-signed cert, but I think TBird will still give that error...

Of course, for TBird, you could install the 'remember mismatched
domains' extension so you can make that 'error' go away...

--

Best regards,

Charles