[Dovecot] Enabling security on POP3 and IMAP

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Sep 28 19:27:18 EEST 2009

Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 9/28/2009, Richard Hobbs (richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk) wrote:
>
>> One question though... before I accept the certificate, i get warnings.
>> One says the cert is not trusted (which is fine - it's self-signed). The
>> other warning, however, mentions a hostname mismatch. Is there any way
>> to put all of the hostnames we'll ever use into that certificate, so
>> regardless of whether people are access "mail.domain", "pop3.domain" or
>> "imap.domain", the hostname mismatch does not occur?
>>

> There is a way to add 'alternate names', but I don't think TBird (or
> most other Clients) will recognize them.

Actually, I find them fully supported on all the clients I tried! (Not
that many to be fair)

I am using a godaddy cert with multiple names and it's working just find
and dandy with Thunderbird and Apple Mail for example.  I believe others
have reported success with various microsoft PDA's also (which is
encouraging)

Godaddy simply had the cheapest cert when I was looking around, but you
still pay many $10s for a cert with 5 or so extra aliases

Wildcard certs may also work for you if you are *.domain, but in my case
I needed various domain1.com domain2.com type options

Good luck

Ed W