[Dovecot] compressed IMAP traffic

Leonardo Rodrigues leolistas at solutti.com.br
Mon Sep 28 19:08:57 EEST 2009

Ed W escreveu:

> I notice that the openssl docs require compression to be specifically
> enabled and are somewhat scathing about support...
>
> http://www.openssl.org/docs/ssl/SSL_COMP_add_compression_method.html
>
> Anyone care to comment further?

    When i created this thread, some weeks ago, i have also made some
tests with recent versions (OpenSSL, dovecot, Thunderbird) and couldnt
get compression.

    I didnt any kind of tracing debug or similar, i just created some IP
accounting rules and watchs it when downloading a know set of emails
with a know size. There was no difference when downloading through
unsecure IMAP or secured (TLS) IMAP. So, there's no compression being
activated.

    When searching for that, i found that there's already a RFC for a
COMPRESS imap extension ... as imagined, there are pretty few clients
that supports it .... Thunderbird 3 Beta supports it .... but asking
customers to use a Beta software is not acceptable. So, we'll probably
need some more years to have this extensions widely deployed and
supported by clients.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4978.txt

--

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,