[Dovecot] compressed IMAP traffic

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Sep 28 19:21:43 EEST 2009

Leonardo Rodrigues wrote:

>    When searching for that, i found that there's already a RFC for a
> COMPRESS imap extension ... as imagined, there are pretty few clients
> that supports it .... Thunderbird 3 Beta supports it .... but asking
> customers to use a Beta software is not acceptable. So, we'll probably
> need some more years to have this extensions widely deployed and
> supported by clients.

I'm prepared to be wrong, but my guess would be that the SSL way will
give you 90-110% of the performance of this extension...  The benefit of
the COMPRESS extension is likely to be that it doesn't require SSL, and
perhaps there are some corner cases where performance can be improved
through knowledge of the data, but I bet that takes another 10 years to
filter through...

Don't get me wrong, I build email compression software as my main
product (!!), however you can really only fiddle around with an extra
10-40% of compression between the best and worst algorithm, and for sure
that's nice to have, but you get a 500% speedup in many cases just by
enabling "something" with a decent sized dictionary!

Cheers

Ed W