[Dovecot] Upgrading Dovecot on CentOS 4 from 0.99 to 1.x

Josep L. Guallar-Esteve guallar at easternrad.com
Mon Sep 28 22:05:00 EEST 2009

Hi Timo,

Thank you for answering.

On Monday 28 September 2009 02:22:06 pm Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 09:11 -0400, Josep L. Guallar-Esteve wrote:
> > I'm planning to upgrade using the instructions found at dovecot's wiki.
> > On http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/ it is offered in 3 different versions:
> >
> > * dovecot 1..0.15-1_73.el4
> > * dovecot 1.1.19-1_96.el4
> > * dovecot 1.2.5-0_100.el4
> >
> > I have a separated test system, where I'll test upgrading from 0.99 to
> > final selected version, to discover any possible gotchas found while
> > upgrading.
> >
> > Two questions:
> >
> > 1. Which version is the recommended to upgrade? I'd like stability and as
> > little problems as possible over anything else, as we have a simple set
> > up.
>
> 1.1.19 is the guaranteed-working version. I think v1.2.5 is fine too if
> you don't use quota (due to a stupid bug that causes it to crash).

Good to know. I'll go 1.1.19 route, then.

> > 2. What is the preferred upgrade method? straight upgrade? (099 -> rpm
> > -Fvh dovecot-1.2 ? Or upgrading one release at a time? (0.99 > 1.0 > 1.1
> > ...)

> Since you're using mbox, I think 0.99 -> 1.1 or 1.2 is fine.

Nice. Thanks.

And yet another question on the upgrade subject.

While going through the list archive, I've seen that there can be some
potential messy situations if message IDs (IMAP UIDs) change.

Will the upgrade from 0.99 to 1.1.19 change IMAP UIDs? Will this force me to
remove the .imap folder from each user home directory?

If this is going to happen, I'd like to know in advance, in order to send an
informative email out, as my power users (read: VPs) will have their
Blackberries re-downloading all their messages.

Thank you in advance,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve - IT Department

This transmission is intended for the use of the entity or individual to which
or whom it is addressed.  The transmission or any documents accompanying the
transmission may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or action taken in reliance on the contents of the transmission or the
documents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this confidential
transmission in error, please destroy it and any accompanying documents and
notify the sender immediately.  Thank you.