[Dovecot] Scalability plans: Abstract out filesystem and make it someone else's problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 28 22:20:39 EEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 20:11 +0100, Ed W wrote:
> > lib-storage API has existed since Dovecot v1.0 and it's used to abstract
> > out access to maildir, mbox, dbox, cydir, etc. SQL would fit right there
> > with those.
> >

> OK, I thought that was what you were going to be simplifying...

Nope. It can still be simplified a bit, but only a bit. :) But in every
release I am always simplifying it, moving more and more code to common
functions and making the API more powerful and cleaner at the same
time. :)

> I did have a poke around in there some time back and it did feel "quite
> complicated" to follow what was going on... I found your sql backend
> code as a simpler way to poke around, but even there it was pretty
> quickly going to need some earnest digging to figure out how it was all
> working...

The SQL code was for v1.0 and the lib-storage API has been simplified
since then, maybe not hugely but still pretty much. Maybe some day I'll
see about updating the SQL code for v2.0 API.

Oh and some documentation about it would probably help a lot too. I
guess I should write some, someday. :)