[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.0 and QUOTA capability

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Apr 8 04:38:17 EEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 02:39 +0200, Frode Nordahl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In Dovecot 2.0 the QUOTA capability is not announced until after the user has logged in. This breaks quota-support in some webmail clients (Roundcube, Atmail, probably more).

This is pretty much intentional, because v1.x used to do horrible
horrible things to get the capability line. I was hoping to avoid that
in v2.0. This works for the most commonly used IMAP clients, so I don't
think I'm going to change this. It's time to get the clients fixed
instead. :) Besides, it's possible to support per-user capabilities, and
presenting capabilities before login makes this impossible.

Dovecot v2.0 presents capabilities in two possible ways, depending on if
client sent a CAPABILITY command:

a) the right way (use CAPABILITY imap resp code):

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.
x login user pass
x OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS] Logged in

b) the wrong way (use untagged CAPABILITY), which is required to make it
work with Outlook etc.:

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.
a capability
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN
a OK Capability completed.
b login user pass
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS
b OK Logged in