[Dovecot] RFC 4468

Sat Apr 10 20:51:51 EEST 2010

On 2010-04-09 11:14 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> There's an active BURL thread on the postfix-users list right now and it
> seems Wietse and Victor are open to looking at the idea.  Timo have you had
> any chats with Wietse and/or Victor about BURL, Postfix, and Dovecot as of
> yet?  I'm just assuming for some reason that you've interacted with Wietse
> in the past on one level or another.  My apologies if this is not the case.
>
> Anyway, seems the time may be right to engage this feature and coordinate
> with some MTA devs to get it working correctly.

This sounds suspiciously similar to the thread where I asked about some
kind of support for 'Saving to Sent folder' automatically, so the
message wouldn't have to be sent over the wire twice:

http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2010-March/047272.html

There have been a number of threads on the postfix list about this, and
the last one actually resulted in a reasonable sounding workaround:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2010-03/0070.html

> Does anyone know if Firefox has support for BURL submission yet, or does it
> even need it?

Why would it? If Firefox is being used then your talking about a webmail
client, so the message is never downloaded to the local client anyway.

> I've not looked at the actual message paths defined by this extension
> yet. My assumption is that with this extension, the MUA submits the
> message to the IMAP server and then the IMAP server forwards it to
> the MTA. Or do I have it backwards?

That's what it sounded like to me - which is why I said it sounds
exactly like what I had discussed in the thread referenced above -
calling it a dovecot LSA (Local Submission Agent)...

--

Best regards,

Charles