[Dovecot] Virusscanning

Jerry dovecot.user at seibercom.net
Tue Apr 13 14:27:51 EEST 2010

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:37:04 +1000, Noel Butler
<noel.butler at ausics.net> articulated:

> So, you want  postfix to accept the virus, send it to dovecot's
> deliver which then calls a virus scanner and finds it infected and
> deletes it, that makes absolutely no sense to me, when postfix could
> have had its call to amavisd or mailscanner or some milter and delete
> it before it gets to dovecot, in other words deleting it closer to
> acceptance point which makes the most sense.

While I certainly would not recommend mailscanner with Postfix (it is
not supported), amavised works fine, however. You could just use the
'clamav-milter' if you so desired. That also delivers excellent
results, especially when used in conjunction with the options third
party signatures. See:
<http://www.sanesecurity.com/download_scripts_linux.htm> if you are not
familiar with it. In any case, once you accept the message, you cannot
bounce it. Let your MTA handle the chore for you.

--
Jerry
Dovecot.user at seibercom.net