[Dovecot] Virusscanning

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed Apr 14 02:52:40 EEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 07:27 -0400, Jerry wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:37:04 +1000, Noel Butler
> <noel.butler at ausics.net> articulated:
>
> > So, you want  postfix to accept the virus, send it to dovecot's
> > deliver which then calls a virus scanner and finds it infected and
> > deletes it, that makes absolutely no sense to me, when postfix could
> > have had its call to amavisd or mailscanner or some milter and delete
> > it before it gets to dovecot, in other words deleting it closer to
> > acceptance point which makes the most sense.
>
> While I certainly would not recommend mailscanner with Postfix (it is
> not supported), amavised works fine, however. You could just use the

I certainly would recommend it, there are ample people on the
mailscanner lists who will go out of their way to help anyone with this
combination, as you very well know, but you are correct in as much as
Wietse and the postfix community doesn't, and those who have  been
around long enough know why (this isn't the place for that discussion
either for those who don't), however there are many large organisations
happily using that combo and that number has grown over the years as
postfix becomes more widespread use over sendmail etc.

> 'clamav-milter' if you so desired. That also delivers excellent
> results, especially when used in conjunction with the options third
> party signatures. See:

Yes, I have setup this milter on memory constrained VPS's for clients
where neither MailScanner or amavisd-new will work without the kernel
killing off stuff for out of memory on the entry class VPS offerings. I
do recommend it.