[Dovecot] dovecot-2.0-beta4, lda and sieve: Permission lookup failed from /tmp/Dovecot Delivery

Felix Leimbach felix.leimbach at gmx.net
Wed Apr 14 20:04:03 EEST 2010

Hi Pascal,

On 04/14/2010 04:18 PM, Pascal Volk wrote:
> On 04/14/2010 03:46 PM Felix Leimbach wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm testing a dovecot-2.0-beta4 and it is great so far, except that I
> > can't get the sieve plugin for the LDA configured.
> >
> > It doesn't find the user's homedir and uses /tmp instead. Thus it never
> > finds any sieve scripts.
> >
> > The log shows that the SQL queries return the correct home path, namely
> > /mnt/data/vmail/example.com/me
> >
> > dovecot: auth: prefetch(me at example.com): passdb didn't return userdb
> > entries, trying the next
> > dovecot: auth: sql(me at example.com): SELECT CONCAT(homedir, "/", maildir)
> > AS mail, CONCAT(homedir, "/", maildir) AS home, uid, gid FROM
> > postfix_users WHERE email =
> > 'me at example.com'
> >
> > dovecot: auth: master out: USER 1       me at example.com
> > mail=/mnt/data/vmail/example.com/me/
> > home=/mnt/data/vmail/example.com/me/       uid=5000
> > gid=5000
> > dovecot: lda(me at example.com): Effective uid=5000, gid=5000,
> > home=/mnt/data/vmail/example.com/me/
> >
> > dovecot: lda(me at example.com): Namespace: type=private, prefix=, sep=.,
> > inbox=yes, hidden=no, list=yes,
> > subscriptions=yes
> >
> > dovecot: lda(me at example.com): maildir++:
> > root=/mnt/data/vmail/example.com/me, index=, control=,
> > inbox=/mnt/data/vmail/example.com/me
>
> The first problem: home == mail && LAYOUT=maildir++.
> So ~/.dovecot.sieve will be created inside
> root=/mnt/data/vmail/example.com/me. IMAP will see the mailbox dovecot
> with the child mailbox sieve.
> When the directory /mnt/data/vmail/example.com/me/.dovecot.sieve exists
> you are unable tor create a file/link with same name in your "home dir".
> Please read: http://wiki.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers/Home

Thanks for pointing that out. The wiki is pretty clear and I've
corrected this now.
As a sidenote, I didn't find a way to automatically create user's home
directories if they don't yet exist.
As I don't want to change my existing maildir structure I put the home
directories under a separate location:
/mnt/data/vmail/doecot-homedirs/$maildir

I looked at the autocreate plugin but it looks like it can only create
directories under the user's maildir.

> > However, the sieve plugin still uses /tmp instead of the home dir and fails:
> >
> > dovecot: lda(me at example.com): fs: root=/tmp, index=, control=,
> > inbox=
> > dovecot: lda(me at example.com): Namespace : Permission lookup failed from
> > /tmp/Dovecot Delivery Mail
> > dovecot: lda(me at example.com): Namespace : Using permissions from /tmp:
> > mode=0777 gid=-1
> > dovecot: lda(me at example.com): Namespace : Permission lookup failed from
> > /tmp/Dovecot Delivery Mail
> > dovecot: lda(me at example.com): Namespace : Using permissions from /tmp:
> > mode=0777 gid=-1
> > dovecot: lda(me at example.com): sieve: user has no valid personal script
>
> It performs only permissions lookups. That was fixed 9 days ago:
> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/9c94f073d014
>
> > Any idea?
> SELECT 'maildir:~/Maildir' AS mail, CONCAT(homedir, "/", maildir) AS home, …

I'm using this now, based on your suggestion but without having to move
all my current maildirs:
SELECT CONCAT('maildir:', homedir, "/", maildir) AS mail,
CONCAT(homedir, "/dovecot-homedirs/", maildir) AS home

I've compiled dovecot-2.0 from the current hg repo and the error is
gone. Great :)

However, suddenly managesieve does not work anymore (called from TB's
sieve plugin):

dovecot: managesieve(me at example.com): maildir++:
root=/mnt/data/vmail/example.com/me, index=, control=,
inbox=/mnt/data/vmail/example.com/me

Here the client sits for 20 seconds displaying "Authenticating ..." and
then stops with a timeout error.

dovecot: managesieve(me at example.com): Connection closed bytes=0/17

On a related note: I want to have a default sieve script which is
executed for every user in addition to their own scripts. The reason is
to put spam emails into a separate spam folder.
I planned to use sieve_global_dir for that purpose, but it seems that
the script there needs to be included in the user's own script.
But most of the users won't even have a sieve script, let alone add that
include.
How can I achieve that global spam sorting?

Thanks and best regards,
Felix