[Dovecot] Problems with masteruser

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Apr 16 16:50:23 EEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 16:57 +0400, Неворотин Вадим wrote:
> I've add
>
> $ENV{'MASTER_USER'} = $ENV{'USER'};
>
> to my postlogin-imap script, and it looks like that all is working, thank
> you!!! I'll test it next week, but as I see ACL and base operations work, so
> I think that all other works too))
>
> But what does it mean when I return in master_user field current user's
> name?)))

It means exactly what you do in your post-login script. It sets
master_user to same as user.

> But if I return in master_user not a current user name, but
> something else?))) What master_user field control?))) (Sorry, I can't find
> any information about this feature[?])

master_user is used for the ACL checks. Currently it doesn't do anything
else. So if you set master_user to "foo", it uses foo's ACLs when
determining access to mailboxes. There's nothing special about master
users after login, they're just usernames as any other usernames are.