[Dovecot] best choice of user database file to work with postfix

Arne K. Haaje arne at drlinux.no
Thu Apr 22 23:31:28 EEST 2010

Phil Howard skrev:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Jerry <dovecot.user at seibercom.net> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:03:00 +0200
>> Rainer <rainer.frey at inxmail.de> articulated:
>>

>>> Well, it leaves out the *one tricky part* of using a flat file
>>> database for virtual users with dovecot and postfix: there is no
>>> common format that both understand directly.
>>>
>> I have not been following this thread as closely as I probably should
>> have; however, I was wondering what the OP's problem was with using
>> MySQL? It would greatly simplify the job of constructing and
>> maintaining databases. It is even possible to create tables that both
>> Postfix and Dovecot can use jointly if desired. I use MySQL for several
>> projects, and would never go back to using 'flat files" unless there
>> was no other way to achieve my goal.
>>

> The administration is going to be handed off to less technical people, and
> my goal is to mimize the number of elements in this.  It's not about MySQL
> itself ... it's about not running yet another server/daemon.

Have you looked into Postfix Admin? http://postfixadmin.sourceforge.net/

It might be a good solution for you. I'm using it for a a growing
database of users and I'm very happy with it. The setup with postfix,
dovecot and mysql was quite straight forward, and this interface
requires no particular technical know-how.

Should be perfect if you can do the initial setup, then just give the
admisn the password to this interface.

Arne