[Dovecot] What causes dovecot to rebuild dovecot-uidlist?

Pat plathem at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 01:26:18 EEST 2010

Hello,

In what situations will Dovecot 1.2.11 rebuild its uidlist? I am using the
maildir storage format, and I am also modifying the uidlist manually (so
it's possible I could jack* things up). I have found some related code in
maildir-uidlist.c: maildir_uidlist_next.

1) Blank filename or UID 0
2) Any UID not being greater than the proceeding UID
3) Any UID being greater than ~4 billion.
4) Any UID being greater than the suggested next uid.
6) If a filename contains a /
7) General header line sanity checking.

Are there any other sections of the code that do sanity checks on
dovecot-uidlist (for Maildir type storage)?

And optionally do you agree that maildir_uidlist_set_corrupted is the best
place to watch to see if I have mangled the uidlist?

Thanks in advance,
Pat

* I insert into dovecot-uidlist manually when I deliver new messages, or
discover a message that is not in uidlist for some reason. For compatability
reasons I maintain a completely separate cache. If there is a better way to
keep the uidlist up to date when the user isn't necessarily accessing the
account via dovecot imap, I'm open to suggestions. However my situation is
fairly unique I think.