[Dovecot] What causes dovecot to rebuild dovecot-uidlist?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Apr 29 21:16:10 EEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 17:26 -0500, Pat wrote:

> Are there any other sections of the code that do sanity checks on
> dovecot-uidlist (for Maildir type storage)?

I can't remember..

> And optionally do you agree that maildir_uidlist_set_corrupted is the best
> place to watch to see if I have mangled the uidlist?

Probably.

> * I insert into dovecot-uidlist manually when I deliver new messages, or
> discover a message that is not in uidlist for some reason. For compatability
> reasons I maintain a completely separate cache. If there is a better way to
> keep the uidlist up to date when the user isn't necessarily accessing the
> account via dovecot imap, I'm open to suggestions. However my situation is
> fairly unique I think.

Why do you need to update uidlist at all? Or do you need access to IMAP
UIDs outside Dovecot? I've changed the uidlist writing rules/locking
already a few times and probably will change in future versions, so
changing it without Dovecot's code doesn't seem all that good of an idea
to me.

If you need the uidlist updated, what about if you just tell Dovecot to
update it, for example one easy way is to use
http://wiki.dovecot.org/PreAuth

printf "1 examine inbox\n2 logout\n" | dovecot --exec-mail imap