[Dovecot] Question about mbox_snarf and dovecot2.0

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Apr 29 20:27:57 EEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 11:11 -0400, Jonathan Siegle wrote:
> > namespace {
> >  location = mbox:~/mail
> >  ..
> > }
> > namespace {
> >  prefix = ~~MboxSnarf~~/ # or whatever unique string you can think of
> >  location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
> >  list = no
> >  hidden = yes
> > }
> > plugin {
> >  mbox_snarf = ~~MboxSnarf~~/
> > }

I guess my idea above was that mbox_snarf would:

1) Do nothing special when opening the mailbox (unlike now), except add
hooks to sync_init and mailbox_close.

2) when mbox_snarf_sync_init() is called the first time:
 - find mbox_snarf namespace
 - open INBOX from that namespace and keep it open
 - goto 3)

3) every time mbox_snarf_sync_init() is called:
 - call mbox_snarf()

4) on mailbox_close() close the snarf mailbox

> As I need this to function, I've been thinking about your words above
> and been reading http://wiki.dovecot.org/Design/Storage/Plugins. The
> mentality of it reminds me of the lazy-expunge-plugin, but this API is
> taking some time getting used to. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Maybe the above helps? That Plugins wiki page probably won't help you
much, since the current mbox_snarf already sets up the plugin stuff
correctly. "Overriding methods" is probably the only important part
there. The other Design/* pages could be more helpful.