[Dovecot] Again: Occasional problem with POP3-Download

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Apr 29 20:57:44 EEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 16:01 +0200, Andre Tann wrote:

> I can now reproduce the problem. When filling up a mailbox with postfix'
> smtp-source with dozens of identical mails, then it is never possible
> for me to fetch one single mail out of the mailbox. The process of
> fetching mail via POP3 always fails. It makes no difference which mail
> client I use. I have tested KMail, Outlook and Thunderbird.

What about talking POP3 protocol directly?

telnet pop3.server.org 110
user foo
pass bar
uidl
retr 1
retr 2
retr 3
quit

Does that work? (Try from the client machine first, and if that doesn't
work try again from localhost.)

> Can anyone confirm this? Is dovecot for some reason unable to deliver
> such identical mails?

No. But what do you have in pop3_uidl_format?

If POP3 UIDLs differ, I think it's unlikely the problem is with Dovecot
itself (but instead with some anti-virus/firewall/whatever in the
middle).