[Dovecot] Again: Occasional problem with POP3-Download

Andre Tann atann at alphasrv.net
Fri Apr 30 11:14:03 EEST 2010

Timo Sirainen, Donnerstag 29 April 2010:

> What about talking POP3 protocol directly?
>
> telnet pop3.server.org 110
> user foo
> pass bar
> uidl
> retr 1
> retr 2
> retr 3
> quit

Hm, I can't try that by hand, because in fact I only offer POP3s via
Port 995 to the world:

mail:~# grep -i ^protocols /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
protocols = pop3s imap imaps

IMAP on port 143 is neccessary to allow access to squirrelmail, and is
hidden by the packet filter from the world.

> No. But what do you have in pop3_uidl_format?
>
> If POP3 UIDLs differ, I think it's unlikely the problem is with Dovecot
> itself (but instead with some anti-virus/firewall/whatever in the
> middle).

There is no Firewall or Antivirus-Code in the middle, or to be more
precise: I have tried to download from a linux box, where no firewall
and no virus killer is running on. The result is the same, as if I
download it from a Windows XP box, where firewall and virus killer is
running.

mail:~# grep uidl /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
  #pop3_reuse_xuidl = no
  pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv

Is that OK?

AT