[Dovecot] CDB Authentication database

Luca Corti luca at fantacast.it
Fri Apr 30 01:16:14 EEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 20:36 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

Hi Timo,

> I guess you saw http://wiki.dovecot.org/Design/AuthProcess? It's
> probably out of date though..

Yes, I'd target 2.0, since that's what I will be using anyway.
Is the documentation still relevant?

> What kind of a database is CDB? How are the fields saved there? I'm just
> wondering if maybe this should be a lib-dict backend and the auth
> process could support dict as passdb/userdb.

CDB is a simple binary read-optimized key value store.

http://cr.yp.to/cdb/cdb.txt

It supports atomic database replacement, which is nice when you have to
update the database on the fly. Postfix supports it for lookup tables.

The basic idea would be to use username as the key and everything else
as attribute which can be parsed after a successful lookup. I guess the
format of the value may even be the same as passwd-file but the key.

ciao

Luca