[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.2.13 intermittent authentication failures

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Tue Aug 3 22:20:02 EEST 2010

>> And sure enough, there it is:
>>

>> Aug  3 12:15:23 fusion dovecot: auth(default): client in: AUTH  1
>> PLAIN   service=imap    secured lip=127.0.0.1   rip=127.0.0.1
>> lport=143
>>      rport=19068     resp=<hidden>
>> Aug  3 12:15:23 fusion dovecot: auth(default): bsdauth(benny,127.0.0.1):
>> lookup
>> Aug  3 12:15:23 fusion dovecot: auth(default): bsdauth(benny,127.0.0.1):
>> password mismatch
>
> Did you check with auth_debug_passwords=yes what the password is? v1.2
> doesn't seem to log it clearly, but by base64 decoding resp= value you
> could see it.

I did, yes.  However, it didn't output plain text, so I didn't
go hunting as to what format I was seeing.  The "password
mismatch" seemed to point to Squirrelmail, so I moved on towards
that angle.  I'll decode it and see what's actually happening to
the password, that might help track down the issue.

>> The "password mismatch" would suggest that Squirrelmail may be
>> having a problem, which I have asked about on their list.  However,
>> just to cover my bases, is there something else that could have
>> happened that would be causing dovecot to get *random* password
>> mismatch errors?
>
> I vaguely remember seeing something like this before too .. but I don't
> remember what the end result was. Maybe you could find something from
> Dovecot mailing list archives.

I did do some searching in the archives before asking, but I'll
certainly go back and do some more exhaustive searching.

Thank you for all your help, Timo, it's greatly appreciated!

Benny

--
"Something's going on in this house - last night, I saw a face!"
"Did it have a nose?"