[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.2.13 intermittent authentication failures

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Wed Aug 4 05:18:58 EEST 2010

> Did you check with auth_debug_passwords=yes what the password is? v1.2
> doesn't seem to log it clearly, but by base64 decoding resp= value you
> could see it.

Hi Timo,

   Well, I cranked the debug back up all the way and captured the
password.  After whipping up a quick perl script to decode it,
it gives me my username and password, end-to-end, no delimiter.
Both the username and password are correct, and are the correct
case.  If that is the correct format for the Base 64-encoded
string, it seems to be the right content.

   So.  Uh.  Why is dovecot giving back a "password mismatch" ?
I don't believe it's the system's authentication mechanism doing
anything weird, I have yet to fail a single SSH authentication (and
yes, I do use both password and key-based auth).

> I vaguely remember seeing something like this before too .. but I don't
> remember what the end result was. Maybe you could find something from
> Dovecot mailing list archives.

   I'm calling it a night, my head is throbbing.  I will hit the
archives again first thing in the morning...  If anyone can help,
I certainly would appreciate it!

Benny

--
"Something's going on in this house - last night, I saw a face!"
"Did it have a nose?"