[Dovecot] IMAP namespace and Courier migration

Yves Goergen nospam.list at unclassified.de
Sun Aug 8 18:40:38 EEST 2010

Hello,

the migration guide from Courier-IMAP to Dovecot says that I should
change the folders namespace to "INBOX." if I want a seamless migration.
Isn't it that e-mail clients determine that namespace automatically? At
least I never needed to enter one in Thunderbird and then it was there.

What happens if I copy the database, all the Maildir files, run the
migration script to convert the special files and don't change that
namespace - will clients show an error message and stop working or will
it still work?