[Dovecot] ssl-build-param

Tue Aug 10 00:01:10 EEST 2010

Yves Goergen wrote:
> On 09.08.2010 12:36 CE(S)T, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> Yves Goergen wrote:
>>> what does the Dovecot process ssl-build-param do?
>>
>> Google is your friend...
>>
>> http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=dovecot+wiki+ssl-build-param
>
> Wow, that was easy. Unfortunately, it didn't give me better results than
> last time. It just took longer. Can anybody help with better suggestions
> than pointing to some web search?

Reading the actual results might help...

>From the first hit re: the above web search:

"SSL security settings

When Dovecot starts up for the first time, it generates new 512bit and
1024bit Diffie Hellman parameters and saves them into
<prefix>/var/lib/dovecot/ssl-parameters.ssl. After the initial creation
they're by default regenerated every week. With newer computers the
generation shouldn't take more than a few seconds, but with older
computers it can take as long as half an hour. The extra security gained
by the regeneration is quite small, so with slower computers you might
want to disable it:

ssl_parameters_regenerate = 0"

So, I think it is only logical to deduce that the ssl-build-param
process is the process that controls the generation of the ssl-params.

--

Best regards,

Charles