[Dovecot] Impossible to share INBOX with other users

Daniel Stoye stoyedaz at cms.hu-berlin.de
Tue Aug 10 10:35:03 EEST 2010

Hello,

On 08/09/10 17:15, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 13:48 +0200, Daniel Stoye wrote:
>> 1 getacl drafts
>> * ACL "drafts" "user2" lrwstipekxacd
>> 1 OK Getacl completed.
>> 1 setacl drafts user1 ilrws
>> 1 NO Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information.
>
> Both of the above should have said:
>
> x NO Mailbox doesn't exist: drafts
>
> Fixed now: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/8814ced6d012

thank you.

>> * LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "FremdeOrdner"
>> * LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "FremdeOrdner/user2"
>> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "FremdeOrdner/user2/Drafts"
>> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "FremdeOrdner/user2/INBOX"
>
> These all look ok. INBOX exists, is selectable.
>
>> 2 lsub "" "*"
>> * LSUB () "/" "FremdeOrdner/user2/Drafts"
>> 2 OK Lsub completed.
>
> So the shared mailbox simply isn't subscribed to. Subscriptions aren't
> added automatically. So there is no bug here.
Yes, i thought i was subscribed, but i weren't, sorry.

>> 4 list "FremdeOrdner/user2/INBOX" "*"
>> 4 OK List completed.
>
> user1's LIST didn't show any (especially shared) mailboxes under INBOX,
> so this looks OK too.
>
>> 5 status "FremdeOrdner/user2/INBOX" (UIDNEXT MESSAGES UNSEEN RECENT)
>> * STATUS "FremdeOrdner/user2/INBOX" (MESSAGES 1 RECENT 1 UIDNEXT 2 UNSEEN 1)
>> 5 OK Status completed.
>
> Looks ok.
>
>> mail_location:
>> dbox:~/dbox:INDEX=/addons/index/%u:CONTROL=~/control:LAYOUT=fs
>
> :LAYOUT=fs is unnecessary with dbox, since it's the default. Also why
> are you separating control directory? dbox uses very few control files
> and I don't much see point in doing that.
>
>> It seems, that only on the Drafts-folder, the folder name is case sensitive:
>
> No, it's the other way around: Only INBOX is case-insensitive.

Thanks, i understood that now and it makes sense.

So, i debugged thunderbird today, and it seems, that the list command it
is using doesn't return the Inbox:
I don't know of the behaviour of the "%" sign in imap commands, maybe
it's a thunderbird bug, i don't know.
Any help would be appreciated, so i can write a bugreport for thunderbird.

1 login user1 passOfUser1
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE SORT
SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE
CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC
ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS ACL RIGHTS=texk
1 OK You are so in
1 list "" "*"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Drafts"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Trash"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Junk"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Sent"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "AutoCleanSpam"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "FremdeOrdner"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "FremdeOrdner/user2"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "FremdeOrdner/user3"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "FremdeOrdner/user2/Drafts"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "FremdeOrdner/user2/INBOX"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "FremdeOrdner/user3/INBOX"
1 OK List completed.
2 list "" "FremdeOrdner/%"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "FremdeOrdner/user2"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "FremdeOrdner/user3"
2 OK List completed.
3 list "" "FremdeOrdner/%/%"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "FremdeOrdner/user2/Drafts"
3 OK List completed.
4 logout
* BYE Logging out
4 OK Logout completed.