[Dovecot] Subscription to folders and subscription file

Fabio Ferrari fabio.ferrari at unimore.it
Wed Aug 11 13:07:14 EEST 2010

Hello,

I'm using dovecot 1.0.7 and have a problem with subscription files.

The documentation says that this file ("subscriptions" or ".subscriptions"
in the root of the maildir, I've tried both) holds the informations about
the subscribed folders.

I've created such a file with these lines:

Trash
Sent
Drafts
INBOX.prova
INBOX.prova4

And configured a client (Thunderbird) with INBOX.prova and INBOX.prova3
subscribed. So, I have 2 different configurations: one for the client and
one for the server.

Then, I turned off the first PC and configured with default options a
second client in a second PC. I expected that

- it subscribed with the entries in the subscriptions file
or
- it subscribed with a default option, that is All Folders or None

But it subscribed exactly the entries subscribed by the first client in
the first PC.

So, since I grepped "prova3" on all the directory structure and I found
nothing, I think that dovecot is saving these informations in a binary
format somewhere. Is it right? And, if it is right, how can I configure it
to use the "subscriptions" file (or any other text file) as said in the
documentation? Maybe I have to upgrade dovecot to do this?

thank you in advance

Fabio Ferrari